Food and Agriculture Organization Job Circular 2019 Has been Published.
House 37, Road 8, Dhanmondi R/A
Published on: March 24, 2019
Deadline for Application: April 06, 2019
National Gender Officer
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is a technical knowledge-based organization marching forward with policy dialogues and advocating for the eradication of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition; the elimination of poverty and the driving forward of economic and social progress for all ; and, the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, including land, water, air, climate and genetic resources for the benefit of present and future generations in the underdeveloped countries. Our three main goals are : the eradication of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition; the elimination of poverty and the driving forward of economic and social progress for all ; and, the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, including land, water, air, climate and genetic resources for the benefit of present and future generations.
This project will seek to support the Government of Bangladesh at different levels to develop an appropriate food agenda for the Dhaka Metropolitan Area (DMA). On one hand it will build urban food planning capacity and skills, while on the other it will explore policy options to improve access to and the distribution of safe, healthy and nutritious food within the DMA, reduce urban food waste and encourage consumers at all levels of society to make more informed food choices. Strong engagement with both the private sector and civil society will be necessary to support the desired enabling policy and regulatory environment to assist the Government of Bangladesh achieve its obligations under the New Urban Agenda. The desired outcome for this project is to contribute to the development of a safe, sustainable and resilient food system for the DMA through an iterative action learning approach.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh and direct supervision of the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) the incumbent will support the implementation of project activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Identifying gaps and opportunities for the integration of gender equality dimensions into the project
- Ensuring sustainability of gender-sensitivity of the project
- Review the project document and advise on entry points for greater gender responsiveness
- Provide support in the preparation of training materials for the basic gender training for project staff and beneficiaries
- Support the CTA and Food Systems Analyst (FSA) in the day-to-day activities on gender
- Contribute to developing methodology and tools for conducting gender assessment
- Support project staff and implementing partners to incorporate gender based approaches into the project
- Plan and implement activities that strengthen value chain business opportunities and market linkages for women
- Prepare a list of gender-related indicators for the project activities
- Contribute to the development of the detailed work plan for the project to ensure that gender is mainstreamed
- Providing policy advice to the respective government structures
- Assist and support the Ministry of Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives and the city corporations in drafting gender sensitive urban food policy
- Support the CTA and FSA in carrying out their duties
- Provide technical support for annual work plans and budgets
- Perform other related duties as required
- Advanced degree gender studies or development studies
FAO Core Competencies
- Results focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- A minimum of five years of experience in gender work with focus in project management and liaison with Government
- Experience with UN, international organization and non-governmental organization an added advantage
- Report writing in both Bangla and English is highly desired
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in multicultural environments and to proactively forge good relations and networks
Duration: 01 (one) year with possible extension
Duty station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
All applicants will send their General Profile (GPF) to the following address: [email protected] by close of business on 06 April 2019.
Subject must refer Application for the position of “National Gender Officer”
Application not submitted through the filled GPF will be discarded. Please do not submit any certificates/documents with your application.
Candidates not possessing the essential qualifications should not apply as their application will not be considered.
Any persuasion will disqualify the candidate; only short listed candidates will be invited for the interview.
All recruitment to FAO posts are made on a competitive and transparent basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply directly to FAO and follow the instructions on the above mentioned website. Please note that no intermediary is allowed to expedite or facilitate such process. All those who represent themselves as such are fraudulent and should be reported to FAO immediately.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.